DISCLAIMER: Open-water swimming is inherently dangerous. Open-water swimmers risk drowning, hypothermia, hyperthermia, heart attacks, panic attacks, cramping, jelly fish stings, fish bites, boat or jet-ski collisions, collisions with floating or submerged objects (including other swimmers), and other calamities that can be injurious, disabling or fatal! The "West Neck Pod" is an informal association of open-water swimmers who swim "outside the lines" with no lifeguard protection, it has no formal membership, organizational structure or legal identity, and its participants, including the author of this blog, make no representations and assume no liability with respect to its group open-water swims. All swimmers who participate in West Neck Pod group open-water swims do so at their own risk. Be careful out there!

Thursday, October 1, 2009

"The Water-Log" - October 1, 2009

I must say, I greatly enjoyed Bob & Ken's "my-pool's-better-than-your-pool" exchange, but not nearly as much as Rob Martell's hilarious response! I hope they take him up on his proposal - and I want a front-row seat! As far as I'm concerned, though, no pool can compare to open water, as I was reminded again this morning when I ventured to the Y as part of my transition back to indoor swimming. I love the Y (even though Ken's right and the water is too warm!), but in a pool you can only go so far and then you have to stop and turn around again....And then there are the other swimmers -- lots of them! The best thing about open-water swimming is that the faster swimmers are always in front of me and the slower swimmers are always behind me! So for me, the pool will be where I go to practice swimming, and the ocean will be where I go to swim....which is what I plan to do tomorrow (Friday) morning at West Neck at 6:30 with Ken, Chris and Jim (Carole's face is still swollen like a chipmunk's so she's still on the disabled list and won't be joining us). But FYI, if I get there and it's f-f-f-f-reezing, I'm n-n-not s-s-s-s-s-wimming....!

No comments:

Post a Comment